Wednesday, April 1, 2009

settling into school

Hello everyone!

We finally have a blog. Wahooo! Now that we have this up and running, I'm not sure what to say.

Let's start with today. Emily and Gabe went to thier 3rd day of school. I really like thier teachers, Miss Vierra and Mrs. Claussen. They seem to be very used to new students and have a lot of ways to help new students feel welcome and understand classroom rules. Emily's classmatedsput together a poster with all of thier own personal advice on how to be a good student in Miss Viera's class. I thought that was pretty clever.

Gabe and Emily both have swimming for PE during the next two months. Today when I picked up Gabe he said, "Mom guess what? Before we went swimming, I had to get naked!" All the boys had to change in the same room and "everyone saw everybody's everything." according to Gabe. It's never a dull moment with him.

I like the school in general. Although, it is strange having to show ID to a guard before going on campus. They have that place pretty secured with a huge fence and guards everywhere. It's nice but strange.

Today was the 3rd day we had our A yi. I like her a lot but I don't understand her mandarin. She comes from a province in southern china called si chuan. She has a really thick accent which makes it hard for me to understand her. I was hoping to improve my chinese as well as have the kid's learn chinese with this whole A yi things so I'm not sure if we are going to continue with her. We'll see. It has been really nice to have someone make dinner while I help the kids with homework and hold a crying baby.

Most of you know a lot about the first two weeks of us being here so I won't go over all of that. I will keep you posted on our adventures in China.

love,
ali

2 comments:

  1. Yeah you have a blog! I love it. Good to hear things are going well. Gabe cracks me up. I'm jealous of the whole Ayi thing. Can you send one my way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! You have a blog! Can't wait to hear all the many adventures you have in China. Having an A yi sounds like a sweet deal. Does she make what you want for dinner, or something Chinese? :)

    ReplyDelete