Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chris' entry

Ali's writing is so much more interesting to read than mine but I thought I should add some of my perspective and experience. It's not all about maidservants and chocolates...so this week I found a driver for me. Actually, we only have one vehicle and I don't have a drivers license yet so it is a necessity. Did I convince anyone?

My job has been crazy just like all new jobs are. My first three weeks were spent traveling to suppliers to conduct quality and program management systems audits. You can imagine how much fun that is for everyone. All the while I am trying to learn the stuff that I am trying to convince people that I am an expert of. So far so good. The learning curve is steep. All the while I am trying to do this in Chinese. I am also learning alot of language. This last week I was in the office because I was asked to prepare a presentation for our corporate heads/project sponsors.

Last week I went to have my health check for getting my drivers license. I have to go back this Thursday for the written test. They gave me a study guide with the answers. Some of the questions are hilarious.

Here is a sample:
55. Driving on the road covered with ice or snow, try your best not to turn the steering wheel lest the vehicle should:
a. Skid
b. Slide
C. Slip

(In case you were wondering the answer is 'a'.)

One more:

Before driving motor vehicles, drivers:
a. may drink a little alchoholic drinks.
b. must not drink alchoholic drinks.
c. are only allowed to drink beer.

(My first guess was 'c' but...)

I know Ali has included some classic Gabe moments, that many of you miss, so here is one I had yesterday.
We were getting out of a pool at a local expat. clubhouse (where Europeans are plentiful) and a man in a speedo walked out of the locker room with his son. This spectacle caught Gabe's eye especialy since they were no more than 8 or 9 feet from us. So in Gabe's loud voice he asks, "DAD, WHAT KIND OF SWIMSUIT IS THAT?!" . I answered him quickly in hushed tones, "Gabe, its called a speedo". Of course this is not an adequate answer for Gabe who is now pointing at the man's speedo, which is now 6 feet away and repeats his original question which he apparently felt I didn't hear because in a louder voice he repeated his question, "DAD, WHAT KIND OF SWIMSUIT IS THAT?" In desperation I tried to divert his attention or try to at least stop him from pointing and staring, but I was completely unsuccessful as the question was repeated a third time. Oh well, If the guy didn't want attention he shouldn't have been wearing a speedo.

It's been fun relearning Chinese and impressing everyone again. Since there are not a lot of foriegners that speak any Chinese or have any fluency they are always very complimentary of me and Ali. Both of us have been attending the respective Chinese Elders Quorum or Relief Society lesson.

When I was on my mission my companion and I would always fantasize about getting a phone call from the prophet in the middle of the night telling us that we were called to go and open China for proselyting. Well Ali and I have about the closest thing to that as you can get. Ali is a branch missionary and I was just called to be branch mission leader. We can only teach people that are foriegn passport holders or people that are married to foriegn passport holders. Shanghai is a very international city like NewYork or Hong Kong so we will be plenty busy.

Thanks for reading and we love to read your comments.

4 comments:

  1. We miss those classic Gabe moments! He is hilarious. That is really cool that you guys get to be missionaries. Don't get yourselves into trouble. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to hear you're doing so well. Cole and Grace were quite excited to see pictures of Gabe and Anna, since pretty much every day they tell us "Gabe and Anna can't come over 'cause they're in China". Chris, hopefully everything goes OK on your drivers test. Just make sure your don't drink any alcoholic drinks lest you should skid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,

    I am SO glad you posted Gabe's classic moment. That is hilarious! I can seriously envision the whole thing in my mind and I am just cracking up. The expat culture sounds as interesting as the Chinese culture. So funny.

    Our kids keep asking about what it's like for Gabe in China. For one reason or another my boys really remember him and think it's so interesting that he's there, since they're trying to learn the language right now. Honestly, sometimes I think you could do an entire child's blog dedicated to "Gabe's Adventures in China." It would be a huge hit.

    So fun to hear your perspective on things. Just out of curiosity, do they make you take the driving test in Chinese/English?

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Gabe. I miss his comments in Primary. I can just imagine him staring at that speedo. It's like a train wreck- you just can't look away. I've found myself in similar predicaments. Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves...but don't get too comfortable- you're expected back here in less than a year, and the time is ticking!!! :)

    ReplyDelete